Assoc. Prof. Liwei WANG
CVs of Assoc. Prof. Liwei WANG
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, 1991-1995, Heilongjiang Bayi Agricultural University, China
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, 1995-1998, North-east Agricultural University, China
- Ph.D., Refrigeration and Cryogenics, 2001-2005, Shanghai Jiaotong University, China
Research experience abroad:
- Visiting acdemic, Warwick University, UK, 11/2008-01/2009
- Research Fellow, UK Royal Society Incoming Fellowship, Warwick University, UK, 2/2009-11/2010.
- Research Fellow, EU Marie Curie Incoming Fellowship, Newcastle University, UK, 12/2010-12/2011.
Fields of Interest
- Refrigeration science and engineering
- Conversion of low grade waste heat with the technology of adsorption refrigeration and electrical generation
The research experience of Dr. Wang mainly focuses on the conversion of low grade waste heat with the technology of adsorption. She has published 20 papers in International journals, 11 papers in national journals, 1 book, contributions to 2 books and has applied for and obtained 10 invention patents in China. She has given 7 lectures in international conferences, including one keynote lecture.
On the research for the heat and mass transfer intensification for the adsorption materials, Dr. Wang had developed the solidified adsorbent, and studied the anisotropic thermal conductivity and permeability of compact expanded graphite in detail. Based on the experience on the research for this aspect, she had gotten the Royal Society Incoming Fellowship in 2009.
On the research for the adsorption theory and its application, she had studied the precursor state of chemical adsorption, and constructed the dynamic model for the chemical adsorption and compound adsorption.
She designed the physical and composite adsorption ice makers for fishing boats, and proposed a new idea for the electrical generation. Because of this, she got the IIR Young Researchers Award in 2007 and Marie Curie Incoming fellowship in 2010.
Selected Awards, Honors and Positions in Professional Societies
- Recipient of Marie Curie Incoming International Fellowship (IIF), 2010, “A new type adsorption-resorption cycle for the combined power generation and refrigeration driven by low grade heat”, European Commission, Seventh Framework Programme of the European Union.
- Recipient of the UK Royal Society Incoming Fellowship (UK Scientist: Prof. R.E. Critoph, Scientist in China: Liwei Wang), 2009, “Development of new type compound solidified adsorbents of activated carbon/activated carbon fiber for refrigeration/heat pump”, UK Royal Society.
- Awardee of Shanghai Natural Science Award (1st Prize, Rank 2), 2008, Researches on Adsorption Refrigeration Mechanisms, Thermodynamic Cycles and Heat and Mass Transfer, granted by Shanghai Municipal Government.
- The Ph.D thesis was awarded as one of the National 100 Outstanding Ph.D Theses, 2008, “Performances, mechanisms and application of a new type compound adsorbent for efficient heat pipe type refrigeration driven by waste heat”, National Education Committee
- Awardee of IIR (International Institute of Refrigeration) Young Researchers Award, James Joule Award, 2007, “Research on the adsorption ice makers for fishing boats”, International Institute of Refrigeration.
- Ph.D thesis was given with the Award of the Outstanding Ph.D Thesis in Shanghai City, 2006, “Performances, mechanisms and application of a new type compound adsorbent for efficient heat pipe type refrigeration driven by waste heat”, Shanghai Education Committee.
- Recipient of the Honor of Outstanding Ph.D. of Shanghai City, P. R. China. 2005, Shanghai Education Committee.
Selected Research Projects
- L.W. Wang (Researcher), A new type adsorption-resorption cycle for the combined power generation and refrigeration driven by low grade heat, Recipient of Marie Curie Incoming International Fellowship (IIF), 101,372 EUR, 2010-2011, European Commission, Seventh Framework Programme of the European Union.
- L.W. Wang (PI), Development, heat and mass transfer, and adsorption property research on the new type activated carbon composite adsorbents, RMB 1,080,000 RMB, 2010-2014. The foundation of Education Ministry of China and Shanghai Jiao Tong University (as a foundation to the 100 national outstanding Phd thesis).
- L.W. Wang (PI), The two-stage deep freezing adsorption cycle for the utilization of low temperature heat source, 230,000 RMB, 2009-2011, Natural Science Foundation of China.
- L.W. Wang, R.Z. Wang, L. Xu, J.Y. Wu. The two-stage adsorption deep freezing system driven by the low temperature low grade thermal energy. China invention patent, 200810038831.2, 2010 authorized.
- L.W. Wang, R.Z. Wang, C. Feng, W.X. Cao. The compound solidified adsorebnt of LaNi5 and expanded graphite. China invention patent, 200810038831.2, 2008, 2010 authorized
- L.W. Wang, R.Z. Wang, Y.X. Xu, Z.S. Lu, Split heat pipe type com-pound adsorption ice maker with liquid pumping function, China invention pa-tent, 200510024576.2, 2007 authorized.
- L.W. Wang, R.Z. Wang, J.Y. Wu. The adsorption ice maker with the structure of split heat pipe for fishing boats, China invention patent, 200310108924.5, 2005 authorized.
- L.W. Wang, Z. Tamainot-Telto, S.J. Metcalf, R.E. Critoph, R.Z. Wang, Study of thermal conductivity, permeability, and adsorption performance of consolidated composite activated carbon adsorbent for refrigeration. Renewable Energy, 2011, accepted.
- L.W. Wang, Z. Tamainot-Telto, S.J. Metcalf, R.E. Critoph, R.Z. Wang, Anisotropic thermal conductivity and permeability of compacted expanded natural graphite. Applied Thermal Engineering, 2010, 30（13）： 1805-1811.
- L.W. Wang, R.Z. Wang, R.G. Oliveira, A Review on Adsorption Working Pairs for Refrigeration, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 2009, 13(3): 518-534.
- L.W. Wang, H.S. Bao, R.Z. Wang, A comparison of the performances of adsorption and resorption refrigeration systems powered by the low grade heat, Renewable Energy, 2009, 34: 2373–2379
- L. W. Wang, R.Z. Wang, Expectation of Adsorption Refrigeration for Waste Heat Recovery Applications, In: Refrigeration: Theory, Technology and Applications, 2009, ISBN: 978-1-60456-461-7
- L.W. Wang, R.Z. Wang, Z.Z. Xia, J.Y. Wu, Studies on heat pipe type adsorption ice maker for fishing boats, International Journal of Refrigeration, 2008, 31(6 ): 989-997.
- L.W. Wang. Studies on heat pipe type adsorption ice maker for fishing boats. The 22nd International Congress of Refrigeration, Beijing, China, Aug.21-26, 2007 (Keynote lecture).
- L.W. Wang, R.Z. Wang, Z.S. Lu, C.J. Chen, K. Wang, J.Y. Wu, The performance of two adsorption ice making test units using activated carbon and a carbon composite as adsorbents, Carbon, 2006, 44:2671-2680.
- L.W. Wang, R.Z. Wang, Z.S. Lu, C.J. Chen, J.Y. Wu, Comparison of the Adsorption Performance of Compound Adsorbent in a Refrigeration Cycle with and without Mass Recovery, Chemical Engineering Science, 2006, 61 (11): 3761-3770.
- L.W. Wang, R.Z. Wang, Z.S. Lu, C.J. Chen, Studies on Split Heat Pipe Type Adsorption Ice-making Test Unit for Fishing Boats: Choice of Heat Pipe Medium and Experiments under Unsteady Heating Sources, Energy Conversion and Management, 2006, 47(15-16